"I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Sweet corn!


The kids and I traveled to a farmer's market Saturday morning to get some sweet corn. Unfortunately for us now, our closest farmer market is 20 miles. We made the drive this weekend and it was worth it! We picked up 10 dozen ears of sweet corn. Matt was gone for most of the day, and the kids helped me (some) with the big job. The picture above shows them taking the sacks of corn from the garage to Mason's wheelbarrow. Little Emma the beagle is looking on.



Mason hauled the corn in his wheelbarrow, sack by sack, from the garage to the back deck.


He unloaded all the sacks onto the deck, then needed a drink. He did a lot of "hard work" with his "strong muscles" he told me.


Maiya helped me shuck for about 30 minutes! Mason lasted about 3 minutes...He did take a trash sack full of husks out to the trash barrels outside the fence for me later. He just couldn't sit down to do the boring work! I was thankful Kirstie came out a little later to help me shuck.


They both like eating some of the fresh corn cut off the cob.

2 comments:

Braxmeyers said...

What are you going to do with so much corn?

Marsha said...

We freeze the corn so we have sweet corn through the winter!